GRM model for pre-loaded column

Dear Cadet community,

I am trying to use the Cadet to perform simulation on a pre-loaded column, which initial condition is described as the partial occupation (q ratio) of total adsorption capability (q max).

I have modified the code accordingly as the follows:
model.root.input.model.unit_001.init_q = [q_ratio*q_max,]

However, the resulting breakthrough curve seems starting breakthrough immediately from the q ratio I set (if I set q_ratio=0.2, it starts from 0.2, if I set q_ratio=0.4, it starts from 0.4 etc…).
breakthrough_curves

Please feel free to run my code and check if the breakthrough curve of a pre-loaded column should be like the output of the Cadet Simulation.

GRM for partial loaded column.ipynb (74.9 KB)

Thank you for taking time to consider my problem and sharing any thoughts.

Hello Yunhao,

it looks like your ka is too low and your protein doesn’t bind to the column at all. After raising ka, the simulation behaves as expected.

Dear Ronald,

Thank you for your reply.

As the empty column behaves as expected, I think the protein is binding to the column under the given parameters.

That being said, for pre-loaded columns (q_ratio=0.2, 0.4), does the spike of breakthrough at the beginning comes from the washed-off protein that was initially binded to the column?

In addition, for the initial q, is it possible to set different values at different column section using Cadet? For example, my column was not uniformly loaded as the initial condition.

Hi,

regarding the binding behavior: I still think the protein doesn’t bind.

If I change q_max over a range of values (100, 200, 400) and keep your ka (ka = 3.7698203876889015e-5) & kd, I get this graph:

If I change ka to ka = 3.7698203876889015e-1 I get this graph.

I don’t think the protein is binding to the column with the ka and kd. Which also explains the spike of breakthrough, as the protein “bound” to the column during initialization isn’t stable in it’s binding and elutes right away.

Regarding the setting of an initial state:

That is possible using the INIT_STATE property of CADET Unit operations. They are structured as [c^bulk in component-axial major; (c^p,c^s) in component-radial-axial major].

Here is how you could create such a state vector:

n_comp = 1
    col_step = 20
    par_step = 6

c_state = np.ones((n_comp, col_step))
    q_state = (np.ones((n_comp, par_step, col_step))
               * np.linspace(1, 0.2, n_comp).reshape(-1, 1, 1)  # Add a gradient along the component axis
               * np.linspace(1, 0.2, par_step).reshape(1, -1, 1)  # Add a gradient along the particle axis
               * np.linspace(1, 0.2, col_step).reshape(1, 1, -1)  # Add a gradient along the column axis
               * qmax)
    cp_state = np.ones((n_comp, par_step, col_step)) * 0.2 * qmax
    particle_state = np.stack([cp_state, q_state], axis=0)

full_state = np.concatenate([
        c_state.flatten("F"),
        particle_state.flatten("F")
    ])

This needs to then replaces init_c and init_q

# model.root.input.model.unit_001.init_c = [0.0, ] * n_comp
    # model.root.input.model.unit_001.init_q = [q_ratio * qmax, ] * n_comp
    model.root.input.model.unit_001.init_state = full_state

Dear Ronald,

Thank you for your help and detailed explanation!

@Flynn I remember us discussing this and there were some issues with consistent initialization. Did this get amended or am I remembering incorrectly?